Regional Development Planning for Yangtze River Delta and Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei Area Launched
On November 12th, 2004, National Development and Reform Commission of China held a meeting in Beijing to discuss the regional development planning for the Yangtze River Delta and the Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei Area.
The meeting concluded that the regional development planning should be carried out with a scientific development view which is people-oriented, comprehensive, coordinated, and sustainable. Meanwhile, the important role of market in resource allocation should be insisted, the function of government in macro-control should be stressed, and the institutional innovation and system reformation should be emphasized. Guided by the principles of coordination, cooperation, unified planning, and focusing on priorities and exerting advantages, the work of planning should also coordinate the relationship between population growth, resource exploration, environment protection, and economic and social development with a holistic and long-term perspective, so as to promote a sustainable regional development.
The main tasks of the regional development planning are as followed:
1. Clarify the orientation of further development of regions and determine the overall goals and emphases of regional development based oil the requirements of the overall strategy of national economic and social development and the goals of building a well-off society in an all-round way;
2. Propose the idea of balanced and harmonious development as well as the layout scheme with the hope to solve important problems which concern all the cities in the region but cannot be solved by any individual city alone, such as the co-construction and sharing of the regional infrastructures, creation of investment environment, ecological construction and environment protection, and major construction projects concerning the sustain-able regional development;
3. Study and propose relevant policies that facilitate the integrated regional development;
The meeting put forward four requirements for the successful planning of the development in the two regions:
1. To follow the scientific view of development, and innovate the planning thought;
2. To give prominence to the key points of planning, and exert both the guiding and restricting roles of the planning at the same time;
3. To develop democracy and facilitate social participation;
4. To strengthen the leadership oil the planning, specify the responsibility of relevant government departments, and enhance the cooperation between different Departments.